“Saying thank you is not just courtesy. By recognizing other people—privately, publicly, and, when appropriate, in remuneration—you allow them to feel that they benefit from your success, and you give them a stake in its continuance.”Mitch Horowitz (Secrets of Self -Mastery)
Gratitude. My favourite topic! For the last 3 years I have made December my month of gratitude so that I enter the new year with a positive mindset and feeling abundant. I highly recommend it. Not only do you feel good but a few miracles are likely to occur during the month. I receive one or two surprises between the 10th and 20th December. It blows my mind every year 🙂
Today though the topic is 5 things that I am grateful for. So today I am grateful for:
- Another year around the sun completed last Friday. My 49th to be exact. It’s been an interesting journey thus far filled with abundance, love and laughter. All made possible by God’s grace.
- My son. What an awesome young man he is turning out to be. This year I allowed him to spoil me on my birthday. I usually don’t because I believe the money he receives for Christmas is his to spend on himself. He usually gets offended when I refuse an expensive gift on those grounds. This year I let him spoil me. I am so glad I did. He was so proud of himself. He took me to dinner and bought me a pair of earings. For his efforts, he was rewarded with an extra discount in store. He couldn’t believe his luck. It was so awesome.
- Our semi-adopted cats. George and Georgina have brought a lot of love and laughter to our home. I have felt like a behavioural scientist of sorts documenting their every move out of sheer curiosity. Today I am extra grateful that their depression has started to lift and they are eating and playing again. They mum has officially abandoned them as they are about 3-4 months old now. They were heartbroken. It was really hard to watch them these past few days as they refused eat and just wanted to be near us. All we could do was give them lots of love but we felt so helpless. So very grateful to see the twinkle in their eyes again. Btw, I say semi-adopted because we are not allowed pets in the complex but there are no rules saying we can’t let a stray cat or two visit every day…
- My home and everything in it. It is my haven and, thanks to covid, my place of work as well now. Not that I mind. As an introvert, working from home suits me perfectly. My son once said to me that he loves our home because there is a lot of love here which makes me believe that God is here and working His magic through me for him. What more could I ask for?
- My job. I have worked for the company that I do for over 20 years. I have worked in largely in the same department and that is simply because I love what I do. I also get to see the impact of the products we make on the people that use them which is what really keeps me going. It has also enabled a few trips to different countries. I just have 2 continents left to touch down on, Australia and South America. I also plan on explorating each one of the 5 continents I have already being to a lot more in the coming years. Lastly, it enables everything that I have today and I have a lot. A lot to be grateful for.
This list is in no way exhausitive. I could go on and on but today I have chosen these 5 to write about. I will leave you with words of wisdom about the power of gratitude by Deepak Chopra:
Gratitude opens the door to the power, the wisdom, the creativity of the universe. You open the door through gratitude.Deepak Chopra
🌼Today I am grateful for surprises. This is the 4th year that I am doing this gratitude month challenge and every year, between the 10th and 20th Dec I get something for free. This year I had ordered a skirt and top online and it arrived yesterday. To my surprise, there was a free top and a scrunchy for my hair. I also popped into the Lego store to buy a piece that we had lost and the guy gave it to me for free. It was really sweet of him. It blows my mind how this has happened for 4 years in a row. Thank you God for my blessings, be they great or small. 🌼
🌼Today I am grateful for the Christmas’s I got to spend with my mum. This evening Alex and I put up the Christmas tree while listening to some Christmas carols. I found myself in tears as the carols took me back to 40+ years of midnight masses with our family. My mum loved those services and especially the Christmas carols. So today I am grateful for all the Christmas’s that I was blessed to spend with her and our family. 🌼
🌼Today I am grateful for the time spent with my son and the opportunity to spoil him. I love surprising my son with a bit of spoiling. I feel his energy lift and it absolutely lifts mine to see him happy. Today we went to the mall to get a few necessities and ended up having lunch at one of our favourite restaurants as well as walking out with lots of stuff we hadn’t planned on buying. 🙈😁We had so much fun! It was also great to spend some time with him. He is at that age where he lives to play online with his friends and family so I hardly ever get to see him. It was so good to spend the day with him. Today I am grateful for the time spent with my son and the opportunity to spoil him just a little bit. 🌼
🌼Today I am grateful for the seemingly little things that improve my quality of life by leaps and bounds. Being able to walk barefoot in my little garden to ground myself every day. Working from home. An aircon in my bedroom. (It’s gonna be a scorcher of a summer.) The means and freedom to be spontaneous from time to time. Our staff shop. Phew! There is far too much to list here. Today I am definitely grateful for the seemingly little things.🌼
🌼Today I am grateful for my son. The past 13+ years have been an awesome experience with him by my side. Thank you my son, for choosing me to be your mum. Thank you for your love, all that I have learnt through you, your faith and trust in me and for your patience, forgiveness and understanding when things don’t go as planned as sometimes happens. Today we walked out of your primary school for the last time. I am so proud of you and all you have achieved. Watch out high school! Here he comes! Thank you for my son.🌼